3.5 hours drive from Cusco, lies the Tres Rainbow Mountain, also known as the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain.
We picked this alternative hike to the Tres Rainbow Mountain instead of the well known “Rainbow Mountain”, which requires 7+ hours of hiking, and most of the time the classic rainbow mountain is crowded with tourists everywhere.
Meanwhile, at Tres Rainbow Mountain, we enjoyed the stunning rainbow mountains all to ourselves. Not to mention the hike itself only takes about 30 mins each way, much more friendly for beginner hikers and for families.
Off the beaten path is definitely the better path.
- Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain is mostly a day trip from Cusco. 3.5 hours drive each way, the hike is 30-45 mins each way.
- The drive to Palccoyo Rainbow Mountian can be quite challenging, better to go with a tour group.
- If your time is flexible, consider booking the tour when you get to Cusco. There are a bunch of travel agencies in the city. it’s about half the price compared to booking online in advance. Just make sure to confirm which tour you signed up for – Palccoyo Rainbow Mountian or Rainbow Mountain.
- We recommend to take the high altitude sickness medicine the night before the hike, to avoid any uncomfort.
- Bring enough drinking water with you. There’s nowhere to buy water once you arrive at the mountain.
- No walking stick is needed for Palccoyo rainbow mountain. However, it’s better to have walking sticks for rainbow mountain. Most tour groups can provide walking sticks with an extra fee.